Paint Party Friday – Seahorse

A little yellow seahorse for Paint Party Friday.  Did you know that seahorses mate for life? Isn’t that sweet? And the males carry the babies which is kinda weird but I’m sure it is appreciated by the females. I think they are cute but Hubby says they are a little freaky. What do you think: adorable and mysterious creatures or slightly creepy freaks of nature?

43 thoughts on “Paint Party Friday – Seahorse

1. crystal

I absolutely love seahorses. When I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago they had a pile of seahorses in a tank and I tried and tried to get good photos but a good photographer I am not. Your seahorse is adorable…and they mate for life how sweet! 🙂

2. Gloria

Oh I think seahorses are just beautiful. Yours is just awesome, I love it! They are one of Gods beautiful creatures in life. Thanks for sharing your wonderful piece and Happy PPF!

3. Rhonda

Your seahorse is great. I like them too, and don’t think they are freaky. They are actually amazing and very delicate creatures. Happy PPF!:-)

Love your seahorse! I have not done any watercolor exploration, but you’re making me think twice about that.

And not freaky at all – I think they’re cool.

@ rosie – They flutter that little fin on their back really really fast. Sadly, they aren’t very good swimmers and don’t tend to survive when the waters get really turbulent.

5. laurie

thanks for visiting,, I found you once and lost you,, I’m so glad I have found you again,,I love the seahorse and I’ve been going through your past posts,, I love your work,, beautiful,, I’m a follower now!

6. Victoria

So beautiful..what an enchanting soul…fabulous…love the golden colors..beautiful! I LOVE seahorses..and you have taken me back to childhood memories..as i loved them and wanted to be one..ok..interesting ha ha..beautiful work..i think they are magical creatures!
    Victoria

7. Sunshineshelle

Seahorses are so intriguing & graceful & your painting captures their beauty so well – lovely 🙂

8. Nelly Eisenhower

I love your sea horse. Finally an animal that got it right! We did see them at the Baltimore Aquarium a few years back and they were just gorgeous to watch. Happy PPF!

9. priti.lisa

How in the world would they know if sea horses mate for life??? Who is getting paid to watch???
    Lovely Art Journal page♥

10. Mari

If you see them in their environment, sea horses, are very delicate and transparent …. you have captured its essence. Saludos

I’ve always loved seahorses. I think they are magical. Yours is wonderful! I love the eyes. And such beautiful golden color. 🙂

12. Jenny

Oh I’m a BIG seahorse fan, i think its their other wordly appearance that does it for me AND the male doing the pregnancy thing…so weirdly wonderful 🙂
    Your painting captures them beautifully, love your colours x

13. Terrie in Seattle

Adorable – I love the blue washes and the spatter on the seahorse. It inspires me to break out of my “usual” mold in my journal and try something new…..

14. giggles

Anything that mates for life is special! Just the fact that the male carries the baby ranks big time in my book! I remember them being very popular as wall plaques when I was a little girl 50 odd years ago. I think them with owls are making a resurgence. Very cute, not sure I’d decorate with them though! Would make a nice painting for a powder room! Good job!

15. Sam

I’ve always felt seahorses were unique, but didn’t see the depth of their beauty until we became friends…

Now I am convinced they are brilliant and will amass at Lake Ponchartrain’s edge, swim and bob their way to Lake Maurepas (if some cajun doesn’t eat them first), then hop thru the Magic Forest to my house, which just so happens to be right down the street from The Beguiling Wizard of Whimsy. With triumphant tooting of horns, they shall envelop me with flippers and save me from these Chains of Suburban Mediocrity!!!!

When??? Whenever shall the seahorses come, Sweet Pea??? Have you spoken with them, what did they say, huh, huh, what did they say???