Paint Party Friday – Junk Mail Portrait

Happy Paint Party Friday! Just playing around while waiting for the oil painting to dry so I can work on it again. This is mixed media on a catalog page. It’s a self portrait, but my nose isn’t that big! At least, I hope not. It’s not great but I really enjoy working on these catalog pages with the watercolor and gesso. It’s a lot of fun toΒ  just play and see what will happen. This one has a good bit of graphite in the background, too. Adds a nice grungy look.

32 thoughts on “Paint Party Friday – Junk Mail Portrait

1. Mari

It looked very real and in depth to see his face, as you do not know do not know if the resemblance is good, but as I think it works great …. Saludos

2. Gloria

It’s a great portrait. The nose is great. Catalog pages? Do you mean pages out of a catalog? Like a catalog you get in the mail? If so, that is a great idea, to use the pages in catalogs. I’ve never tried that. Great work, Happy PPF!

Yes, this one is in a Serena & Lily catalog, which is home decor stuff. You have to brush on a little gesso, first.

Well, since I knew it was you instantly, I think you did a great job! I expect my self-portrait (should I actually ever get to it!) will not be so “life-like.” πŸ™‚

Really, you recognized me? Hmm, I don’t know if that is good or bad, that it looks like me, LOL. I’m not very comfortable with self portraits. I think a more abstract version might be easier to handle. I did a Modigliani style one once that doesn’t look much like me at all but I really like it. πŸ™‚

4. Elisa Choi

Awesome.. i love your painting and how you created it with watercolor.. Just lovely!

Happy PPF!

5. Darla

Nicely done! Catalog pages? Do you have a tutorial on your process anywhere? Are you adhering it to a support? If so, what are you using to adhere (acrylic medium or some sort of glue)?

No, I don’t have a tutorial on it. I haven’t adhered it to a support. I painted it with it still in the catalog.

6. gerri herbst

Lovely self portrait…nevr painted a human figure! My watercolor nest and bottle was painted on coldpress 140lbpaper and photoed on my kitchen wall…u asked if it was painted on fabric.take care, gerri