Sunday Sketches

I got a new sketchbook this week but I don’t think I’m going to like it. The paper is very soft and a weird yellowish color. It doesn’t like watercolor. It might work better for colored pencil but I had intendedΒ  to carry it with meΒ  to sketch in when I’m out and I can’t carry a bunch of colored pencils everywhere I go, especially if I am trying to be inconspicuous. Anyway, this is a little monkey that I knit, standing next to my big wooden @ sign. My husband thought the monkey was a cow. He told me my cow was glaring at him when he went into the living room at 3am to get ready for work and I had no idea what he was talking about.Β  I frequently have no idea what he is talking about, so that was nothing new. Please join me in making the Sunday Sketches rounds to see what everyone has been up to this week!

22 thoughts on “Sunday Sketches

1. Catherine Constance

Hi Melissa, I love your little monkey..husbands, where do we get them from… Try putting gesso on your pages..it will strengthen the paper and it’s great for putting pencil and watercolour on… πŸ™‚

2. Carol

Love your little monkey ~ sooooo adorable! ~ Husbands sometimes just ‘don’t get it’. ~ Enjoy your sketching ~ and yes gesso might help ~namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey)

3. Donna The Woodwife

OMG your post cracked me up!! I needed a laugh this morning and you gave it me. I rarely know what my husband his talking about yet he says the same of me. I love your cow monkey even though I was pretty sure right from the get go that is was just a monkey!! Never saw a cow in that position!! But I have seen them glare!!

4. Pop Art Minis

Love the sock monkey art…so fun that he hangs out at your house! Hope the journal works out…maybe there’s something that will call your name as a perfect medium for the paper. Look forward to the adventure! Happy SS

5. Teri C

Your sock monkey is adorable.
    Nothing worse than an unsatisfactory sketchbook. Buy a different one and use this one as an ‘idea’ book. I carry a small watercolor moleskine in my purse. Works great.

I almost ordered a watercolor moleskine from Amazon but then I read that they were being made in China now and that the quality was really suffering because of it. πŸ™

6. Sophia

Awww…a cow?! It doesn’t even look close to one. I love him and think he’s cute. πŸ™‚

I know what you mean by not liking yellow paper to draw or paint on. I have a couple of different sketch pads and have found my least favourite is the yellow. I recently found a small sketch tablet that I look, maybe you could find one there. It’s Master’s Touch 9.5×6, white, smooth paper. πŸ™‚ I also found some ready cut watercolour paper by Strathmore 5×7 that is amazing to paint on as well. Hope this helps for “Travel” paper. πŸ™‚

7. Melissa Liban

Lovin your monkey. Did a great job on your wooden @. I like that the monkey/cow was glaring at your husband, that made me laugh!

8. Cindy D.

I have to join in the chorus of “of course it’s a sock monkey!” (And he is a male – sigh.) On the other hand, what if you wanted it to be a cow? It could be a cow, then. The next question is, why would he think you had a cow with glaring tendencies? Very fun post, all around. πŸ™‚