Wanna see something scary?

This is a work in progress that is still in the terrifyingly ugly stage. I hate stopping at this stage because it’s hard to want to pick it back up again to finish but I ran out of time tonight. She isn’t meant to be bald, I just haven’t decided what I want to do with her hair yet. and hopefully she won’t look so much like a zombie when I’m done with her. This is a cropped version because the whole thing won’t fit on my scanner and it’s too dark here for a photograph. Mixed media but at this point it’s just watercolor crayon and gesso.  Maybe she’ll be looking a bit spiffier by next week’s Paint Party Friday.

32 thoughts on “Wanna see something scary?

1. gloria

This is great work. I’m looking at it and am seeing the pink background, loss of hair, and very thoughtful thinking and am reminded of someone who is going through Chemo, sadly. It’s a wonderful piece. Thanks for sharing.

2. Alicia

I think the only scary thing is the cancer association – re. hairless, pallor, and that thoughful look people get when contemplating the truly unfathomable – such as one’s demise. So even if you think it’s ‘ugly’, I actually find it quite powerful. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to this piece in the coming weeks

3. Ayala Art

She is so cool! I like to see my ladies when they are bald, it is scary, but it is fun as well… Looking forward to see how she transforms!

4. Tracey Fletcher King

I hate stopping when they are at a scary stage as well… sometimes I try to sneak back and just make a start so that I don’t freak out and think about it too much… mind you your scary stage looks a whole lot better than mine usually do… happy ppf

5. Ellie

I like her pondering expression. I have that same problem with my dolls. I usually don’t put the hair on till last cause it gets in the road of everything so they look terribly freaky bald. Don’t worry, she will look lovely once you have worked out what you want to do with her hair. I look forward to seeing it.

6. lisa wrightstuff

Well she certainly doesn’t look like a zombie, that’s for sure!

She does look powerful like this, but I can’t wait to see some hair on her!

7. - T.W -

Scary? I think it’s stunning! The shading of her skin is amazing, and that hand looks so natural and real…
    Looking forward to seeing this finished, I can imagine her looking good in a short, spiky hairstyle… perhaps next week we’ll see. 😉

8. Carolyn Dube

Your face is so expressive- I am learning to do faces and I am very impressed with your nose – noses are my nemesis! Looking forward to seeing where she goes next week!

9. Mari

Has struck me as you draw both factions without hair, I do the work all together… in PPF always see different forms of work art.Saludos

10. Anonymous

I Love her and think she is gorgeous!Fabulous work..your shading is stellar!! I went through a time when i painted many bald women/and people in general….I think it is freeing and spiritually uplifting….gorgeous work! however you finish this piece..it will be beautiful and awesome!
    Victoria

11. Debbie

I think it’s quite good as is, depending on what you’re trying to express with this piece. Your process has me curious, and I can’t wait to see what happens next! I always work on hair and face together, but I’m guessing you have something fun planned here.

12. Sheri Cook

I think you would be surprised how much power is in the image you have at this stage. I will be curious to see her in the next phase…
    Happy PPF!
    Sheri Cook/HappyHorseStudio

13. Carrie

ummmmmm, I can appreciate the wonderful talent before me – but thank goodness it isn’t finished, it’s a little creepy. Love the bqackground and the pose.