New Paintings

I’ve got a couple of new things to show this week! The first is my first spread in my Diary of Faces. This week, we were to choose an artist (from the distant past)  from Singapore and do a portrait after one of theirs. I chose a crop of Maylay Woman by Georgette Chen. Most of us are painting in old books and if you’ve been here before you know I love to paint on the pages of old books. Click here to see the other cool thing I made with old books this week! This is the info card to go with my painting. Click to enlarge if you’d like to read it.

I also finished a 2 color watercolor on a half sheet. I used only Burnt Umber and Ultramarine blue. The choice of subject was not mine this time.

As usual, I’m sharing this with my artist friends at Paint Party Friday!

25 thoughts on “New Paintings

Both of these are super!!!! And that second watercolor is amazing – I find it freeing sometimes to limit the palette and then see how many differing values you can juxtapose. You’ve done an awesome job. I’m still firmly in the acrylics camp, so I need to start branching out. 🙂

2. carlarey

Wow to them both. Your portrait is gorgeous, and the landscape is wonderful, especially with only two colors. It makes want to put in a jacket and take a chilly winter hike.

3. Debbie

Both pieces are so different, and so good. I like the limited palette in the landscape a lot and the portrait is so beautiful. You are versatile! It’s so nice to see an Asian artist profiled, too.

4. Molly

love your portrait but am absolutely mesmerized by your landscape. i can’t believe you only used two colors– there is such depth and richness to it. beautiful!

5. Tracey Fletcher King

the watercolour with such a restricted palette is awesome… you must have learnt so much from doing it…. and the portrait is really lovely as well… you have had a very productive week…xx

6. Anonymous

your portrait is great. . . your painting using only 2colors is mesmerizing to me! pure talent!
    cheers, dana

7. Jill

Wow! Love your Chen piece – isn’t the class so inspiring so far?! I may even do another this weekend. Your watercolor is so amazing!

8. Carol Samsel

Love your paintings and I love using old books for lots of things. Love the wreath you made too :0)

9. Anonymous

Hi Melissa, I just love your blog! You are sooo creative. Your paintings are just awesome! That landscape it so wonderful! I would love to be able to do a landscape someday.:)
    So glad we me here classes!

10. Stephani

Hi Melissa! So glad we have met in class again! I love your blog it is so cute and I especially love your beautiful paintings! I would love to paint a landscape like that someday! Bravo!
    Hugs, Stephani

11. Anonymous

I love your artwork. Just finished looking through about 6-8 of your posts admiring your portraits and the barn watercolor. Really great sketches!