Tag Archives: altered art

The Pinterest Challenge Project

 

Centsational Girl and a few of her DIY blogging buddies are hosting a Pinterest Challenge and today is show off day. You simply choose something you have pinned and stop procrastinating and get it done!  They gaveeveryone one week to get this accomplished. I had several different styles of book page wreaths pinned and knew I wanted one but hadn’t decided which style.  Here is the pin that I chose from my boards. And here is the tutorial for making it. I used a straw wreath instead of styrofoam (it was half the price) and  glued some strips of pages around it to keep it from shedding. I rolled paper flowers for 3 days but I had caught some king of bug and didn’t feel like doing anything else, anyway. This was a perfect project to work on while not feeling well. I listened to audio books and cut and glued. I used 4 different books to get a variety of color. The darkest of the pages are from a 1938 encyclopedia that I rescued from an old store that has been on my families property since my grandparents were a young couple. The owner was a family friend and lived in the store. The old building has since fallen in. I’ve heard many stories about Mr. Bell and the store so the pages have some sentimental value for my family. I really love the finished wreath! If it wasn’t for the challenge, I’d still be just thinking about someday making one instead of trying to decide where to hang my new pretty. I think it will go in the bedroom and maybe it will get a pretty bow or fabric hanger.

Shared at Fine Craft Guild Link Party  and Tranformation Thursday.

and

Scrabble Tile Coaster

I did a major desk cleanup a couple of days ago and decided I needed 2 things. Something to hide the huge hole in the back of the armoir desk and all the wires that go through it, and a new coaster. I stopped and covered a piece of foam core I had with some batting and the only fabric piece I had here that was large enough. Much better! My old coaster was a plastic cd case that just happened to be sitting there and got pressed into use for several years. I dumped out my bag of thrift store scrabble tiles and came up with something I liked (no offense to my Windows and Mac using friends!) and glued them to a piece of cork, then sprayed it with varnish.  I love it when I already have everything I need to finish a project.

Shared at the DIY Project Parade and Transformation Thursday and Fine Craft Guild.

 

An altered Tin for Three Muses

The Three Muses theme this week is eggs. I’ve mentioned before that Humpty Dumpty has a special place in our family because, for some reason, my son was just crazy about him when he was little. Humpty is an egg, so I made a little altered sardine tin with a Humpty theme. The photo is a little blurry but looks better if you click to enlarge it.